Recipe from my Grandma. Makes one standard-sized bunt cake.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 Tbsps sugar
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Grease bunt pan well.
- Cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add eggs one at a time. Mix well after each egg.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Mix milk and vanilla together in another bowl.
- Alternate adding milk and flour mixtures into the shortening mixture. Do this in about 4 rounds of each, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add about 1/3 of the batter to the bunt pan.
- Add about 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture to the bunt pan.
- Add about 1/3 of the batter.
- Add about 1/3 of the cinnamon.
- Add the last third of the batter.
- Add the last third of the cinnamon on top of the last layer of batter.
- Use a butter knife, through all layer of batter, to make swirl pattern. Do this by cutting knife through the whole cake in a swirling or zig-zag motion.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let cool completely before turning from pan.
- Note: Butter can be used in place of shortening. Substitute one cup of softened butter for one cup of shortening.