Recipe From my Great-Grandma Mae. Makes approximately 2 dozen cream puffs.
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Flour
- 4 Large Eggs
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Bring water and butter to a rolling boil in medium pan.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add flour and stir with wooden spoon until ball forms around spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir eggs in one at a time. Mix vigorously to avoid cooking the egg.
- Use a spoon to drop smooth paste onto baking tray. (see note)
- Bake 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and poke a small hole in the bottom of the shell with a knife.
- Cool until completely cold.
- Cut in half.
- Scoop out shells to make room for filling.
- Fill bottom of cream puff with custard.
- Top custard with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Place top of cream puff on whipped cream.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Note: Instead of a spoon, you can also use a piping bag to form the cream puff shapes. If you do this make sure that your piping bag is heat-safe so that it does not melt.
Note 2: Cream puffs are best eaten the day you make them. If you have to store them, store the custard and the shells separately otherwise they will get very soggy!