Recipe From my Great-Grandma Mae. Makes enough for one crust.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cups shortening
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbsp ice water
- Combine salt, shortening, and flour in a bowl.
- Mix with hands until shortening forms pea-sized bits.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is wet enough to form into a ball.
- Mix after each tablespoon of water.
- Once dough forms, make a ball.
- Turn onto floured surface and roll into circle big enough for your pie plate. (a 9-10 inch pie plate works best)
- Turn into pie plate and add filling!
- Bake at 450℉ for 10 minutes.
- Add Filling.
- Bake again according to filling recipe.
Note: Depending on where you live you may need to add more or less water. For example, in a drier climate, you will need more water. Be sure to add the water 1 Tbsp at a time so that your crust doesn’t turn out too wet.
Second Note: Depending on the filling, you may not need to pre-bake the crust. Be sure to check your filling recipe. Also, this crust recipe can be doubled to make both a top and bottom crust for a fruit pie.