Recipe from my Great-Grandma Mae. Makes one pie.
- 3 eggs, separated
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 450℉.
- Pre-bake pie crust at 450℉ for 10 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350℉.
- Boil 1 1/4 cup water.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar and flour until combined.
- Pour boiling water over sugar mixture and place over medium heat.
- Cook until thickened.
- Separate eggs, set aside whites.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Add about 3/4 cup of hot sugar mixture to egg yolks a little at a time. Beat well with whisk between each addition.
- Add egg mixture to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add lemon zest and juice, butter, and salt to sugar mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Set filling aside.
- Beat egg whites on medium-high until soft peaks form. About 1 minute.
- Add sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla.
- Beat another 4 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Add meringue on top of filling.
- Spread to seal the edges, and use an upward motion of your spatula to make small peaks.
- Bake at 350℉ for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to sit until bottom of pie plate is completely cool.
Note: You can find the pie crust recipe here.