Recipe from my Great-Grandmother. Makes 1 1/3 cup.
- 1/2 cup butter in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- Grate rind of lemon and juice lemon
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Heat over medium heat.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Add a bit of the hot lemon and sugar mixture into the egg mix and stir well.
- Add the egg mixture into the sugar and lemon mixture and stir vigorously with a whisk.
- Heat until just boiling.
- Remove from heat and serve warm over gingerbread.