Recipe from the 1961 edition of the New York Times cookbook. Serves 8.
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Grease an 8x8x2 inch pan.
- Stir the milk and vinegar together and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Cream the sugar and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. (I used a stand mixer for this step)
- Add the molasses and mix until combined.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the wet mixture. Do this about one quarter at a time.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour into greased pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then turn onto cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Serve with warm lemon sauce.